Reports Templates are designed to help people answer specific questions faster. Each mySidewalk Report Template contains a combination of datasets, text, maps, and charts that, when applied to your city or project boundary, can provide deep insight, help answer everyday community questions, and cut out the legwork of data analysis. The 100+ Templates we’ve created are research-based, rooted in the questions our customers face regularly, and housed in our Reports Template Library.
How to use Report Templates:
- From the top Menu drop-down, click Reports, then click the Template Library tab
- This will bring up a list of relevant report templates based on your Category preference
- To view Report templates for different categories, click the drop-down box next to the search bar.
- When you find a Template of interest to you, click on the title, which will bring you to the Report Template page.
All Report Templates available in the mySidewalk library are indicative of the types of reports and performance measures that our customers utilize daily. These have been researched and created by in-house economists and data-scientists. Each Template will give you an overview, or snapshot, of your community or project area — such as Indicators of Economic Activity, Educational Profile, or Housing Market Indicators. While these Reports Templates are an excellent way to get a jump-start on your analysis, feel free to add, edit, or remove components as you see fit!
Let’s take a look at the Indicators of Economic Activity Report Template.
This report template is focused on understanding local labor market conditions, such as the unemployment rate, employment rate, labor market engagement index, educational attainment, and labor force participation. Each of these datasets are accompanied by a text block that further describes the data, why it’s important, and how the data will help you understand the economic activity within your area of interest.
Editing Report Templates
Geography and Comparisons: The Report Template will be automatically applied to your default geography. To update the geography, or to add a comparison:
- Locate Report Settings on the right-hand side. Click Add geography
- Add up to 5 more geographies. Any geographies you have drawn or uploaded will be in the Custom Geographies column on the right-hand side.
- When you’ve completed your selection, click Complete Selection
- The Report will update to reflect these changes
- To view charts as percentages instead of absolute values, make sure the Normalization toggle is set to “on” on the right-hand side.
Removing Components: Locate the component you would like to remove from your report.
- Hover your cursor over the dataset, chart, text, image, or map you would like to remove.
- In the right-hand corner of the component, click Delete, then Confirm Delete.
Adding Components: Locate the area in which you would like to add an additional component.
- Click the green + button to the left-hand side. Select either datasets, map, image, or text.
- Add your desired dataset, map, image, or text, then click Done.
- Repeat steps 1-2 until you have added all desired components to the Report.
Saving and Sharing Your Report
Once you have added all of the components you want on your report template, you are ready to show it to colleagues, stakeholders, or even the public. It’s time to save and share!
- Rename your report (optional): To the right of the top Menu drop down, click the three dots (…) to the right of "New Reports.” Click Rename, type in your desired report name, then finish by clicking Rename.
- Click the green Save button in the top right-hand corner.
- Print: Click the Print button to print your Report, or save it as a .PDF
- Export: To download the raw data as a .CSV, click the Export option. From there, you can choose which datasets you would like to export. Click Download Selected CSVs when you’re ready.
- Share: Click the Share button, and turn the link sharing status toggle to on. From there, you can elect to share your report via social media, (Share with…), or simply share out the link to your report by copy and pasting the shared link.